Saturday, December 3, 2016

An open letter to PM Sh. Narendra Modi in the wake of DeMonitisation

An open letter to PM Sh. Narendra Modi



Sub: My tryst without currency
Dear Sir,
I was unable to see your televised address on 8th November at 8pm and only heard about the shock news that the currency notes of Rs 500 & Rs 1000 would no more be legal tender starting a few hours from then. The news had indeed taken me and my colleagues, who were still in office, by surprise.
About me - I am no economist not even an arm chair variety. I am also not a politician nor am I affiliated with any political party. I just like to keep myself informed of the happenings around me and sometimes converse & comment on the current affairs only on merits and not along party lines. I am a modest urban middle class tax paying citizen who yearns to grow up the ladder by hard work and determination.

We tried to find more and realized that we could deposit the money in the bank by 30th Dec and/ or exchange the currency notes also till then.

A quick mental scan of the situation as it lay before me suggested that all was under control. I had been getting my salary in the bank, most of my spends are through credit cards and debit cards, I pay for taxi rides through mobile wallets. I have invested in an additional apartment and the tenant transfers money to the bank (post deducting TDS I may add), and I pay municipal taxes, electricity bills etc online. I shopped for weekly (or in some cases monthly) grocery provisions from the nearby department store using the cards. Hence I seemed sorted for most of my transactions. But yes, I needed cash to pay the shopkeepers near my house for sundry emergency provisions like bread, veggies, ice creams & chips etc for my daughters and similar stuff.

Sir, I realized that while I did not go through any significant inconvenience, the maid who visited our house had been feeling the crunch. I tried to help in my own way by simply opening up the kitchen and refrigerator to her. We asked her to pick up whatever provisions she wanted and she picked up some rice, some veggies, a bar of soap and some random stuff, cost of which was insignificant to me, but a convenience which was significant for her. Most of the neighbors I know did very well to support people who needed help. One of my building inhabitants who I heard runs a small factory made a list of provisions his workers wanted, purchased it from a department store paying by card and handed the stuff over to his workers. One of them walked to the bank to help them open a bank account and other such stuff. The shops near our society were happily accepting 500 & 1000 Re notes, a few quickly started accepting cards for small values also (something they were reluctant to do, only a few days back), signed up for mobile wallets or as a last resort, started offering credit to regular patrons.

In all of this, a visit to my local barber summed up the ‘feelings’ of the common man (will refrain from saying aam aadmi). I had forgotten that I had only Rs 60 apart from the now defunct notes of Rs 500 & Rs 100. He told me ‘Sir, aap pehli baar nahin aa rahe baal katwane, aap nischint rahiye. Aaj jab desh mein accha kaam ho raha hai toh hone do. Aap paise agli baar de dena”. This touched a chord somewhere.

Of course I saw that patronage to restaurants had been lesser than normal. Home deliveries from restaurants had virtually stopped, hawkers did lesser business than usual as there was no cash to receive or give. In the middle of all this, we went to this restaurant where we as a group of friends met for dinner and had to asked the captain to swipe the card 7 times to split the bill. My inconvenience was limited to spending more time to pay by card whereas in normal cases, one person would pay by card and rest everyone would pay his share in cash.

While I have stood in the queue for withdrawing money from the ATM and to deposit old currency notes in my account, you could still accuse me of being an elitist urban citizen not in touch with rural reality. True, I would readily agree as I am not aware of the problems of farmers and other rural folks first hand. Though I hear that while the discomfort has been high, the hopes for a better future are even higher.

Sir, I suspect that the government machinery was not completely geared up for a handling a transformation of this magnitude and has been faltering. At the same time I am happy that this step is being taken and I am happier that the government is reviewing and monitoring the situation so closely that course corrections are being done daily to ease the inconvenience to citizens. Changing limits of withdrawals, accommodating people having marriages in the family, not charging at toll booths and so many other changes are being done. It’s quite a delight to note that governments can be so efficient in observing issues, listening to citizens, taking quick decisions and taking actions. I haven’t seen that in a while.

Sir, there is hope. There are already talks of loan being eased up since the banks are flush with funds and other such economic benefits. However, to me the benefits accruing are not so much economic as are behavioral. Tomorrow if I am confronted with a situation where a government officer asks me for a bribe, I will not pay up. I will not pay up because I know this is not acceptable, this is not the norm, the higher authorities will not tolerate it and hence action will be taken again against him. And I will be emboldened to say that, knowing that the Prime Minister of the country is against the practice. Sadly, with all the scams of the past, I wasn’t sure if I had the support from the ‘higher ups’ – after all, if all the netas and ministers took bribes, I would fear victimization if i was to speak up. And despite one not liking it, one would most likely play along – reluctantly.

My father had been a government official and we had several friends and relatives from several ranks junior to him (though not from the same organization) who had enjoyed lifestyles several notches above what we enjoyed with our modest middle class existence. My parents explained this dichotomy by saying that it’s because we are honest people. I never understood it then, however its only when I grew up is when I realized the meaning of ‘upar ki kamai’ and the perks that came with it. By then ‘honesty’ was a virtue that was deeply ingrained in me – and rightly so. Of course, I am not unique, I am sure most of our countrymen have had similar experiences and upbringing. And still most of us at some time, have frustratingly paid bribes.

Sir, human beings are not born dishonest, its only when you see the dishonest easily get away with the spoils, only when you challenge the boundaries of law and derive thrill out of it, only when you are not handed over a stern punishment the first time you cross the line, that you would be tempted to stray fearlessly beyond the boundaries of law. And this is exactly what is happening currently. Somewhere this fear has vanished and that’s why you see lots of people right from a traffic policemen to a high ranking babu openly seeking bribes. The biggest change that I hope to see is in this behavior.

Sir, for once we are seeing the advantage of being honest, for once honesty as a virtue is not making me feel deprived. I’ve heard you rightfully use the phrase ‘Imandaari ka Utsav’ where honest tax payers celebrate and the evaders have sleepless nights. For far too long, we have seen dishonest people enjoying the fruits of their dishonesty. Its time, not just to snatch their ‘fruits’, but also punish them for what they are – dishonest bribe takers and dishonest tax evaders.

Sir, people are bearing with this temporary inconvenience with a hope that things will change hereon. However if things don’t change and a government official demands a bribe, if prices rise and inflation doesn’t stay in control or if people don’t see a tangible difference in their lives after this ‘kadak chai’ that you have served, then peoples anger would know no bounds. Honest people will feel let down and the dishonest will rejoice. And then no PM will even attempt a renaissance of this nature in a country of this size. We can’t let that happen.

Sir, please don’t get distracted by the people who tell you that similar such demonetization experiments have failed in some other countries. All you need to tell these people is that most of those countries like Russia, Myanmar, North Korea etc had taken to the demonetization exercise with their people showing deep resentment and hostility unlike here in India. Here as you can see, the move is being welcomed and cheered by almost everyone. Sir, don’t lose focus when they tell yell at you in the parliament or outside. Remember, the industry captains, the celebrities, most foreign media and most importantly the public in general has hailed your move.

Finally sir,  if Chanakya were to see what’s happening in this country he would easily relate – “when there is appreciation by the intellectuals, when there is upheaval in the enemy camp, when there is unrest amongst the traitors, then you know that the king is of good character & high morals and that the nation is on the path to progress.”

This is our moment and we ought to seize it, this is India’s moment of truth and this is your – our Prime Ministers’ Blue Ocean Strategy for transformation and transition. We have to make it work, we WILL make it work.

All the best sir, I stand by you. My family stands by you!

Best wishes,


Sandeep Bangia

No comments:

Post a Comment